Frequently Asked Questions
If you can’t find the answer to your question, just visit the contact page and get in touch with us.
How much will an author charge?
Authors’ fees vary according to demand, experience and location but are likely to be between £400-£750. Our fee will be included in the price quoted to you.
Where can I get some of the author’s books before the event so the children are familiar with his/her work?
You can ask your local Schools Library Service if you can borrow some on a short term loan or you can ask your local bookshop to supply books. We are happy to assist you with this.
Do you arrange author visits to libraries?
Yes, we are happy to provide authors for libraries, festivals, INSET days, and Conferences.
Should I ask a local bookshop to come and sell books on the day?
Definitely. This has several benefits. You may receive discount on any sales from the day which may help to offset the cost of the event. The children love the opportunity to have a book signed by an author and it becomes a treasured possession and helps them to remember the event in the future. It also makes the author happy!
Should we ask the local press to cover the event?
A good idea. It helps to raise the profile of the school in the community. There are notes about this in the pack you will receive when you make your booking.
When are the specific days for celebrating books, libraries and reading?
You can celebrate books and reading anytime and authors will happily visit schools and libraries throughout the school year, but here are some of the special days you might want to consider.
Children’s Book and Reading Events:
- World Book Day : March 5th
- International Children’s Book Day: April 2nd
- National Share a Story Month : May
- Summer Reading Challenge : July-August
- Roald Day Day [actual birthday is 13th September] : September (TBC)
- National Poetry Day : October TBC
- International School Libraries Month: October
- Libraries Week : October 5th – 10th
- Booktrust Storytime Prize: November (TBC)
- Children’s Book Week : every week!
Other special events to celebrate
- Black History Month : October 2020